The mission of The Alaska Sea Otter and Steller Sea Lion Commission is to: develop and protect Alaska Natives' rights in Sea Otter and Steller Sea Lion customary and traditional uses through co-management, conservation, research, education and artistic development.
The Alaska Sea Otter and Steller Sea Lion Commission’s vision is to become an internationally respected resource in the conservation and co-management of sea otter and Steller sea lion that protects Alaska Natives’ rights:
- Is a respected source of traditional knowledge and local expertise
- Is an organization that works collaboratively and coordinates information and funding
- Is guiding by the strong conservation principles
- Is an organization that supports local communities
- Is a credible source of contact and information
- Is a sustainable organization
- Develop and implement programs and projects that focus on Alaska Native and tribal participation in sea otter and Steller sea lion conservation, management and artistic efforts.
- Work with regulatory agencies, tribal governmental and Alaska Native Organizations to build better relationships and work toward the common goal of conservation and management of healthy sea otter and Steller sea lion populations in Alask
- Educate and inform our youth and the public on the traditional and contemporary relationship between the sea otters and Steller sea lions and Alaska Natives.
- Strengthen TASSC operational capacity, communications and outreach and build TASSC operational and program resources.